Open Door United Methodist Church, a small, but passionate church located in the hills above Richmond, California, is seeking a Music Director to work with our Pastor and worship team. This part-time position requires an experienced musician with leadership skills who can help our musicians and congregation grow as disciples of Jesus Christ through worship and music.
Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
Music Program Management
- Attend weekly church staff and one-on-one meetings with the Pastor;
- Prepare annual goals as part of the church’s strategic plan, and annual budget recommendation;
- Recommend music and instrument purchases, manage maintenance church instruments, and monitor program expenses against the approved annual budget;
- Hire substitute or guest musicians for regular services and special services as requested;
- Maintain records of correspondence for quarterly and annual reports;
- Maintain the music library, including obtaining and tracking all the required licensing and permissions;
- Schedule and direct rehearsals of regular musicians and special music groups;
- Liaise with child care coordinator on children’s music program, including regular worship music participation.
- Assist the Pastor or guest preacher with planning the schedule of music for regular weekly services, and up to six special services per year;
- Be present at Sunday morning services to direct musicians, and provide accompaniment;
- Be present at holiday services, including Christmas Eve and other special services as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance, Music Education, or related field
- Five years minimum experience accompanying soloists or music groups on the piano/keyboard
- Experience in the performance of sacred music
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to play additional instruments (handbell experience strongly preferred)
- Experience in multiple musical genres
- Experience directing beginning musicians or children
Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.